As you know, this blog has been online for a few weeks now and in order to promote it, Ive been going through the process of registering my blog and URL with the search engines so that my audience can find me. Here are some tips that I have garnered from this experience that will help you when you do this.
- When registering or submitting your details always double check the spelling, make sure your name and company details are right and that there are no typos- especially with the URL.
- Dont try to register with every single search engine out there. Cherry pick the most popular or the most applicable to the message you are trying to spread. Ask yourself what search engines your audience is most likely to use and focus on those.
- Remember to let the engines know when your blog is updated. Ping regularly so that the search engine picks up any changes. Many of the engines let you set this up automatically by simply entering a couple of lines of code into your blog set up.
- Be aware of your blog content – you will likely get a knock back if you use explicit language or images.
- Some of the blog search engines only track established blogs so you should get a few articles under your belt prior to submitting.
- Remember to link back to other pertinent blogs and articles and encourage comments from your audience – the more links and traffic your site has, the better its standing will be.
- Dont pay for inclusion – there are enough good blog search engines out there that do this for free.
- Remember to tag your blogs – assign each a category so that interested parties can easily find your stuff.
- Spam – if the blog engines get wind that your blog is simply spam then you may not get listed.
- Dont forget to register your blog with the traditional search engines too.
This list is by no means conclusive but should get you off to a good start with optimising your blog. If you have suggestions, please share them.