By this I mean Google juice and not pictures of hunky models. Here are 10 great ways you can easily improve your search engine positioning without putting your hands in your pocket and without having to be a SEO technodweeb.
1. Update your site regularly – this may seem obvious but many corporate sites rarely change.
2. Post a video – it can be short and sweet but has the added benefit of enhancing your image.
3. Add a podcast – we did it this week and you can too. Our traffic has gone up by about 50% since. Coincidence? I think not.
4. Label your images – most sites don’t bother but this is viable real estate on your site, use it. Image titles should relate back to your keywords and offering for maximum impact.
5. Use Google’s webmaster tools – make sure your site is crawled regularly, submit your sitemap (okay I concede you might need a technodweeb for that) and identify any problems so that you (or your technodweeb) can fix them.
6. Get bookmarks – book marks are like links the more you have the better. Hit on employees, partners and colleagues to bookmark your site.
7. Comment regularly on relevant blogs and always remember to insert your url correctly.
8. Spend some time developing a keyword map for your products and services so as to identify the most effective words to use and those to avoid.
9. Use bold and headings to identify key terms in your text.
10. This one should be first on the list but it seems so obvious I almost left it out. In case you haven’t done so, remember to submit your site to Google and other search engines otherwise there’s no hope whatsoever.