Bright and early this morning I presented to the Sales and Marketing Executives International of Vancouver. The subject of the presentation was: Managing your Personal Brand Online.
The Internet and social media in particular open a whole slew of new ways for us to reach more people, in more places, to learn and to share but before you start taking advantage of social media to network and build your brand its important to consider:
- What is your personal brand? – be true to who you are in real life.
- What are your goals? – the networks and tools you use to showcase your brand will vary according to what you are trying to achieve. For example someone who is looking for a new job will use them differently from someone looking to promote their consulting services. Write your goals down so that you can check in from time to time to see how effective you are.
- Highlight the aspects of your personal brand that truly set you aside and differentate you from others in your field.
- See yourself as others see you – if you already have a profile in LinkedIn or Facebook for example make a point of looking at your profile view. This is the view visitors see of your presence. Make changes as needed.
- This is a commitment – you get back what you put in. Be active in the communities you have chosen to focus on, add value and share and you will be amazed at what comes back.
- Schedule time in social networks or in the blogosphere and don’t let them distract you. If you don’t have much time then the tools for you is Twitter!
- Have fun – growing your personal brand online needn’t be overwhelming or overpowering. Approach it with an open mind and do it consistently and you will be amazed at how much buzz you can generate.