A few weeks ago we posted a blog about understanding your traffic and recommended you try Google Analytics. If you haven’t already done so, here’s how to install Analytics:
1. First of all you will need a Google account. If you are using gmail you can use those login details and if not, sign up for an account then proceed to check in with Google – click on the sign up button to get started.
2. Enter your site details including URL and timezones, click to continue then enter your contact info.
3. You will be taken to the tracking instructions. To make sure Google knows to track your site, you must put the code given on the right hand side of your screen on your site – copy and paste it onto every page.
Once you have it set up and its been tracking traffic for a few days, you will find all kinds of valuable information that will enable you to improve your online marketing efforts and make educated decisions:
Your traffic: where it comes from (both geographically and from other sites), how often people visit, how long they stay and which pages they visit and more;
Your content: which pages they land on and where they go from there, which content drives the most traffic etc (or the least);
Your goals: track your online marketing goals including conversion rates, funnels and Adwords campaigns.
- Filter out visits from you or your employees as they can skew your results.
- Set goals – Analytics allows you to set goals pertaining to your traffic. You should use these to track success.
- One of the things I like best about Analytics is the ability to view data in different ways – remember to use these capabilities to view graphical representations of your data.
Having problems installing Google Analytics or no time to do so? Just let us know. This is just one of the many services we provide.
Thanks to songglod on Flickr for the traffic pic!