Search Engine Optimisation
Search Engine Optimisation is a must if you want to make sure your intended audience finds your website but it can be time consuming and technical – patience is invariably required and it is usually best to employ an expert to help. There are, however, some things that you can do to improve your website ranking that are easy to do and don’t require the assistance of an SEO specialist.
Easy Ways To Improve Your Ranking
1. Update your site regularly – this may seem obvious but many corporate sites rarely change. Search engines like sites that change often so by updating your site frequently you can improve your ranking .
2.In case you haven’t done so, remember to submit your site to Google and other search engines to help them find and crawl your site.
3. Post video to YouTube – posting a video on YouTube and linking it back to your site has the added benefit of building really valuable links to your site.
4. Add a podcast – our traffic peaks every time we podcast and by submitting the podcast to top pod sites, the effect ripples. Coincidence? I think not.
5. Label your images – most sites don’t bother but this is viable real estate on your site, use it. Image titles should relate back to your keywords and offering for maximum impact.
6. Use Google’s webmaster tools – make sure your site is crawled regularly, submit your sitemap and identify any problems so that you can fix them. If you can’t work out how submit your sitemap do it page by page in Google.
8. Comment regularly on relevant high traffic blogs and always remember to insert your url correctly.
9. Spend some time developing a keyword map for your products and services so as to identify the most effective words to use and those to avoid. Content on your web site is key to helping the search engines understand what your site is all about. When considering content, remember to put yourself in the shoes of your audience.
10. Use bold and headings to identify key terms in your text.
11. This one should be first on the list but it seems so obvious I almost left it out. Use a website traffic tool like Google Analytics to measure traffic to your site. If you don’t then how will you know which of the above is working.
If you don’t have time for SEO yourself, remember, it is one of the services we provide. We’d love to talk to you about your SEO goals.
Thanks to a2d on Flickr for the image!