Good Google reviews are super important. When people Google your business the first thing they are likely to see is your Google My Business listing. If you have lots of great reviews that helps to get people through your door to do business with you, and it helps with your website positioning.
I was asked recently how to get good reviews and how to get rid of bad ones. Unfortunately you can’t just delete bad reviews. Trying to get them removed can be arduous too, so the best way is simply to get more good reviews!
Here are a few ideas and suggestions to make the process easier for your customers (and for you too!) – these will work for Google but you can adapt and use them for Yelp reviews, and Facebook too.
Google Reviews – How To Get More
1. Many people don’t know how to give a review on Google. Prepare a one sheet handout giving them detailed directions showing them how to submit a review for your business. Email these to your customers or give them to them at the checkout (depending on the type of business you operate).
2. If you collect email addresses for your current customers (recent customer in the last 2 years only!) you should send a follow up email those that buy from you. Thank them for their business, ask for a review and give them directions as outlined above. You could also send this to your newsletter subscribers encouraging them to review your biz. Be careful though, because of the Canadian Anti Spam legislation you can’t simply email everyone and anyone.
3. Run a monthly promo: each review is entered into a draw each month. At the end of the month draw one and send them something good like a gift card or a voucher they can use next time they do business with you.
4. Make sure your staff know how important it is to get good reviews and incorporate asking for reviews into your business processes.
5. Seek out those who give good reviews and make sure to thank them. If you ignore them then they’re certainly not going to give you more!
6. Add an ask for a review on your invoices / receipts.
7. Showcase reviews on your website and on your social feeds too.
8. Depending on your business model you can add a call to action button on your website encouraging people to review you.
10. When you set up your My Business listing Google probably sent you a ‘Review us on Google’ sticker. Display this prominently.
Of course getting good reviews starts with having great customer service. The better your service the more likely your reviews will be great too!
Listing Your Business on Google
Tips for Staying CASL Compliant